Friday, January 2, 2009

Bringing in 2009

The last day of 2008 was wonderful. I made hash browns, did laundry, received the most thoughtful present of my life and then rode out to a nearby village at sunset.

Dinner was a banana honey sandwich, popcorn and Bear Beer (a somewhat sketchy 12% German import). That night I fell asleep under the stars. They were so beautiful and you could actually see all of Orion's shield; personally I think he's really holding a bow, but then again I'm kind of partial to the Archer.

The next morning the volunteer I was staying with organized making pancakes ('just add water mix' sent by her mom, thanks!) for all her neighbors. The "américain gâteau" was a great success.

I can't believe it 2009!

Late addition: Just read this cool Wired article.

One more (couldn't resist): This American is currently surviving with only 3 of the listed items. I'll let you guess which ones. :)


Sunset cow (goats and sheep in background)


The herd kicking up dust


Last 2008 dinner


Last creep crawly of 2008


First creep crawly of 2009


Barrage at sunrise


batter stirring - it's fun!


making zoom koom (tamarind juice, pounded millet, sugar and water)



Sarata the pancake expert and daughter of the local gâteau lady


Sarata and Oumou

No comments: