Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ouaga, Obama and Mangoes

Well I'm back in Ouaga for another training session. Luckily this time it's only for one day. At the moment it's almost like there isn't enough time to teach everything that should be taught. So missing even one day of classes feels like a set back.

The second week of January I was in Ouaga for my IST (in service training). It was a week long and involved catching-up with my fellow SE volunteers, learning about secondary projects and getting sick. Ouaga is (so far) 3 for 3 at getting me sick. I'm officially vowing that it's not going to happen this time, however the odds may not be in my favor. During the bus ride here I ended up sitting next to a woman who was coughing. Argh!

Anyhoo... after IST, with cold in tow, I buckled down to get some teaching accomplished. It seems that I was successful since I'm giving two tests next week. I also gave my first laboratory demonstration.

permanganate, chromate, Fe(III), Cu(II) aqueous solutions


Then there was that spectacular confirmation of American democracy Jan. 20. Believe it or not, but I actually watched the inauguration live(!) on CNN. A big thank you to the inventor of satellite TV! The Burkinabè TV station, RTB, also broadcast the ceremony and many of my colleages watched it.

Then the Harmattan arrived and things became cold and dusty for a couple days. The temperature has since returned to hot and the sky is blue again. Generally the climate is very dry right now, but not as bad as winter in Montana. So far my lips haven't chapped and my hair isn't perpetually accumulating static charge.


mango trees in bloom


little mangoes in waiting


cabbage patch and mango trees

2 comments:

The Goatherd said...

I love the pictures of blooming things!!! It makes me jealous. We are blowing and snowy. But at least not below zero. I have forgotten that things grow.

Glad you could watch the inauguration. I have to ask, Yes or No on Aretha's hat?

Also, I got a box for the package that was meant to go to you in November. So my the time you are coming home I should have it ready to send! Want anything special???

Get better!!!

Bridget said...

Enjoy the snow! The falling dust here just isn't the same.

As for Aretha's hat, I don't think you really should ask me that. What little fashion sense I had before coming here has been highly skewed. (Remember the lime green dress?) That said, I must admit that I kind of, sort of, maybe liked the hat.