Friday, June 4, 2010

Running with Bats

While staying in Ouaga I've started running again.  I stopped in Ouahigouya because there's a pack of dogs in my neighborhood that are quite scary and give chase.  In fact when I leave Burkina I will take many memories with me as well as an intense fear of strange dogs.

Luckily I have found new motivation to run ... large fruit bats.  The bats are located in Bangr-Weoogo Park.  The first morning I went running this week I noticed huge dragonflies flying above my head, then my eyes latched onto dozens of bats.  I was really out of shape on that run and barely had enough energy to focus on running.  The second morning though I tracked down the nesting trees of the bats.  There must be thousands of them in the park.  Walking under the trees one is assaulted by intense quantity of noise and the water dropping on your head may not be water.  The third morning I went running and my camera came along for the ride.

flying around

hanging in the trees

more flying

the bats' tree homes

a bat wing with my foot for size comparison

No comments: