Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wish I had an "I Voted" sticker...

... because I just did! Unbelievably, my South Dakotan ballot made it to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and then eventually into my hands. I filled it out this morning and sent it off to Ouaga, where it will be shipped to the US via DHL. How exciting is that?

In other news:
  • it rained again two nights ago!
  • the kitten Bug/Lemac is thriving (despite getting run over by my bike, being stepped on and dilocating a shoulder climbing the screen door)
  • school is in full swing now, so my free time has evaporated
  • I went out to the fields Sunday morning with a family to see what harvesting peanuts is like. Analysis: hard, hot, really hot work. It's amazing how hard people work here, I know I couldn't do it!
  • Right now I really wish I could bake a pumpkin pie. Fall here just isn't the same, no pretty orange pumpkins and there's watermelon everywhere. To top it off even the oranges here aren't orange, they're green!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So why would you have a South Dakota ballot? Cousin Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hi Bridget! It's Liz...remember me? I left early, lived in Komsilga with Kait? I'm sure you do! I found my copy of Haut Cinq and found your blog. I first wanted to say HI and I hope you're doing well. I know I didn't get to say goodbye to you before I left. It happened really quickly. I'm sorry that I didn't get to say bye to you! I know before I had left you had kindly offered to stay in touch with the two girls from my village, Sali and Mariam. I wrote a letter to them through Kait before training was over and they wrote me back. Very sweet! I was hoping I could now write letters through you to get to them. They touched me soo much and I miss them a lot! Kait gave me your email address, but it was hard to read because her letter had gotten wet. So if you want to email me at lizaitken911@hotmail.com so I have your email, that'd be great! Also, have you changed your address or are you keeping the stage address? Of course I will send you goodies along with my letters for the two girls. I hope you're doing well and I know it's been awhile since I left, but I just now found my Haut Cinq! Hope to hear from you soon, Bridget!! I want to hear about how your teaching is going and everything : )
Take Care
Liz Aitken

The Goatherd said...

So i'm finally back online. And that is one tough cat! How'd get get run over?

Bridget said...

So up until oh about last night, the kitten had no sense of self preservation. The circumstances of the run over is that I wasn't looking as I pushed my bike outdoors (I bring it inside every night) and Bug ran under the wheel. Now last night we perfected a new game: I go around my house killing crickets and he eats them. Thank goodness he's figured out bugs tast good!