Saturday, November 29, 2008

60th Anniversary of Lycée Yamwaya

I just experienced something very cool and decided that I needed to post pictures. Previously I had decided not to publish the name of my village, but after this post anyone in Burkina Faso (and elsewhere) will be able to figure it out. My village is actually our training site Ouahigouya.

Today my lycée celebrated it 60th Anniversay with a very large ceremony. Festivities started two days ago and culminated in the ceremony this morning. Everything was organized by the alumni of Yamwaya and included music, dancing and best of all matching lime-green pagnes (with math formulas). Government officials were in attendance and many speeches were given.

The best was the music of traditional instruments (still working on their names). The drums were just calabashes (large gourds) laid over fabric/pads and a stringed instrument even made an appearance. Surprisingly, I don't often hear traditional music here (sorry Luc). Mostly it's Celine Dion, Akon and R&B... a lot of Celine Dion actually.

Anyway, the festivities will finish up tonight with football (soccer) matches, a concert of l'Orchestre National and dancing. I'll probably go to the concert, but then it's back to work for me. I still need to write 3 tests before Monday and grade a fourth!



students singing the national anthem with drum calabashes in front


musicians - (left to right) hand clapping women, drummers, woman in lavender is a fairly well known Burkinabè singer, two dancing girls with great rhythm




Gotta love matching pagnes!

It's hard to see in the picture, but the gentleman on the left has a very cool suit with orange fish.


not really sure lime-green is my color

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it IS your color. You look great. Did you have that made there?

Minos said...

I'm enjoying all your updates....sounds like your trip is going very well!

Bridget said...

Thanks Rachel! That's why you're my friend... I think. :)

The complète was made here. All of it actually. I believe the fabric was printed in Koudougou not far from Ouaga. Most everyone has their clothes made here. Tailors are the Starbucks of Burkina Faso.

Wow, I've got to stop making analogies! That makes #2306 since Saturday.

Back to the grading cave...