Tuesday, November 11, 2008

First tests

I just finished handing back the first tests to all three of my classes. Overall the process went without a hitch. Here tests are on a 20 point scale and you aim for a 50% average.

The testing process for my 1ère PC (physics/chemistry) class was the smoothest. The topic was introductory organic chemistry. The average was 8.5 with a nice spread. The students were not happy though, but not because of their grades. The source of their discontent: the test had different questions from the problem set I had assigned! The key for me is going to be to get the kids to make the leap to the next level. So far it appears that the system here rewards memorization and considering the number of students per class, I can understand why.

The test for my 2nd PC class was not good though. The average ended up at 5.6! There was a massive disconnect either on my part or theirs. The test wasn't too dissimilar from the problem set so I'm struggling to figure out what happened. The topic was average velocity and only two equations were needed: V = (x2-x1)/(t2-t1) and V = (2πR)/T. Simple, straightforward? This is why I prefer chemistry. :) To solve the problem of low grades I've decided to give another test for this trimester. More work for me, but hopefully the next one will go better.

The most amusing was my 5ème Math class. Considering the ages of the kids and the number in the class, 87!, discipline is more of an issue. At the beginning I told the kids that if they talked during class I would ask them to leave and they would lose 5 points. That is a lot of points when a test is worth 20. Up until this point I've had no leverage against them. I could say "moins cinq" all I want, but there was little follow up. Well today I handed back their tests. I announced all the "moins cinq" students first. This tactic worked really well. Everyone realized I was serious and my trouble makers had to walk up to the front of the class to pick up their tests minus 5 points. I also took 2 points off some of my "light" talkers just to scare them. After class I pulled those students aside and told them it was a just a warning and that they still had the 2 points unless they continued talking. I think we have an understanding now. And as a further disciplinary measure, during the break I took my biggest trouble maker to the Surveillant, the person in charge of discipline.

Part of the problem with the 5ème Math class is that 32% of the students are retaking the class. They've already seen the material and they're bored. Therefore they talk and act up just to keep things entertaining. Knowing the problem is half the battle, right?

Update: It worked!!! My math class was full of lambs today and we actually got some work done!

No comments: