Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day (one day removed)

Yay, yay, yay, yay!!!! I'm overjoyed that our 44th president is going to be Barack Obama.

Last night I went to bed frustrated by the time difference and my inability to watch the minute-by-minute vote tallies. This morning I woke up to several congratulatory text messages from Burkinabè colleagues. I switched on the radio and heard the news that Obama had won. I listened to his speech for a few minutes (not the same translated into french) before heading to the lycée to give my first test in Burkina Faso.

The test was for my 5ème math class from 7 to 9 am. My lycée is large enough that I am able to print photocopies of tests for my students. I did experience one hiccup, however, while handing out the tests. I gave the tests to each row to pass back, but when all were distributed I was 15 short! My extremely helpful homologue made more copies for me, thank goodness. Half-way through I managed figured out what happened. Some of the students had pocketed an extra copy of the test! Lesson learned: from now on I personally hand each student their test. Tomorrow I'll be giving tests in both my PC classes. Then it's grading time.

But I have digressed from the election...

So promptly after giving the test I headed for the cyber café. Frustration continued as the connection was too slow to listen to Obama's speech and actually cut out at the end. Losing connection wasn't too bad though because I had to leave anyway; I still had to teach two hours of PC. So I headed back to the lycée.

On the way back to school I ran into a cattle drive. Being a native of a cattle ranching state I have an innate ability to recognize herded cattle when I see them. They were taking up the whole road so I made a detour and bought some celebratory bissap. Cattle don't move terribly fast, however, and they were still moseying along when I got back to the road. I was close enough to my school that I decided to follow them. Not a terribly great idea as two of the steers at the back decided they didn't like each other, locked horns and started fighting in my direction! I rode to the side of the road, they kept coming and I kept scurrying out of their way. Their handlers finally got control of them before a "Running of the Bulls" scenario played out.

No more digressions...

Despite the frustration of not be able to watch election coverage 24/7, being here for this moment in history is pretty cool. On my way home today my neighbor stopped to wish me a bonne fête. Evidently while I was sleeping, my neighbors were watching TV and listening to the radio and heard the news at 3am this morning! During one conversation today someone here made an interesting observation. They remarked that the US is a real democracy. Comments like that make you stop and think a bit.

2 comments:

The Goatherd said...

That does make me stop and think a bit. We are very lucky, even if the politics and mudslinging does seem a bit extreme at times. God, the speeches were amazing. McCain's concession was quite moving, too. It was the old John McCain, the one I wish showed up to run because that's the one I really like. And Obama's speech...wow. I was in tears. The transcript just doesn't do it justice.

So will you rewrite each test in case the students pass on the test to others? Why do you think they took at extra copy?

I love the cattle drive story. It IS that time of year!

Bridget said...

The kids here keep old tests in the same manner of fraternities and sororities. The keep files from which they can study. No recycling test questions here!

Also I'm teaching three different classes. This means I get to write 3 different test, which at first I thought was a lot of work. Plus side is they can't pass the tests on to the other classes.